Ingredients: Serves 4
- 8 baby beetroot leaves trimmed off
- To taste salt flakes
- 1/4 cup Vino Cotto
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To taste freshly cracked black pepper
- 100g walnut
- 125g rocket young leaves
- 1/3 cup goats cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Place the beets into cold water and add a teaspoon of sea salt. Bring the beets to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain off. Let them cool and remove the skins.
- Combine the Vino Cotto, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Toss the beets in the dressing and place on a roasting tray. Roast for half an hour or until cooked through.
- Reduce the oven to 180C and roast the walnuts for 5 minutes. While warm remove the skins by rubbing with a tea towel.
- Combine the walnuts, rocket, and baby beets and gently toss with the liquid left over from the roasting.
- Place onto the plate and top with the goats cheese. Serve at room temperature with a final drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Boiling beets can take a much longer time to cook than you think. Baby beets could take 15 to 40 minutes, while larger ones can take 40 minutes to an hour or more. Use timing as a guide only.